A message from Lewis with Casting Central and the LB Acting Studio team:
As artists, we pride ourselves on our awareness of the world around us.
Systemic and Anti-Black racism has been at the forefront of our consciousness and we recognize that it permeates into the lives of our community, ourselves as teachers, and our students. Recent events have made it painfully clear that we have been remiss in some areas and blind in others. We will do better.
We are committed to addressing anti-Black racism and upholding the human rights of those actors at our studio. We denounce all forms of racism including Canada’s treatment of Indigenous Peoples. We are turning awareness into action. We stand with you.
As a studio, we are committed to turning our role of Ally from a noun to a verb. We are committed to:
- Create a BIPOC committee and mentorship program through community outreach to support our students, teachers, and staff
- Challenge the preconceived notions of race, gender, orientation, and age through the materials provided in class
- Continue to recognize, address and challenge the rhetoric we use as actors and how this perpetuates existing inequalities
- Showcasing the full scope of our diverse community through our online presence and within our physical space
- Continue in our partnership with “The Annual B.L.A.C.K Ball” in their various initiatives including scholarship opportunities for up to four students annually
- Each month, we will continue to host live workshops and industry panels to actively engage with the full scope of Toronto’s actors. We want to keep the conversation going
We are listening.